Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happiness

So you've probably heard of the #100happydays phenomenon in cyberspace. I actually researched what it meant because since the beginning of the year, people have been placing that hashtag in their posts. Only today did I finally get around to satisfying my curiosity. So if you are annoyed by seeing those posts, forgive me because I will now be joining the bandwagon.

The #100happydays was actually a challenge begun by an Indian columnist addressed to the whole world. The challenge is to find what your happiness was for the day despite the endeavors and difficulties that day has thrown on you. I found it intriguing though that this challenge had to come about for people to even consider finding happiness each day. But, as the saying goes, don't drop it til you've tried it. Considering the stressful environment we are all forced to live in today, it doesn't hurt to have this as a constant reminder that we should always be happy.

There have been other such reminders over the years scattered in movies, old quotes, books, and even songs telling us to value our days and to never let ourselves be put down by even the biggest of challenges we are facing. Two such quotes are "Smile for just five minutes a day. After a while you'll see it comes naturally" (Love Happens), and "Always look for the silver lining" (unknown). I guess such reminders are worth repeating generation after generation because we do change, and we do need reminders that keep up with the pace of our lifestyle. So today, it makes sense that this reminder would  come through as a challenge in cyberspace.

I am joining this challenge because I too seem to lack incentive to find what makes me happy everyday. Also, I think that having such a reminder will later on help me see more things I need to and can be thankful for. 



I decided to join today because of two coincidental reasons: 1) I happen to want to search for the meaning of the hashtag, and it so happens that 2) I needed to see happiness in what transpired for me today. The day began for me as a slow day. After a sportsfest gone wrong on my part, I went home using public transportation from a place I have never been to before. The happiness for me today, as shallow as you think it may seem, was that moment I learned to commute from this unfamiliar place, back to my home because I actually learned something for myself and on my own. Oddly enough, I was wearing a shirt with the statement "happiness" on it on the ride home.

So there you go, day 1 of my #100happydays is this simple achievement I have for myself. You can try it too if you want. Your happiness doesn't have to come from anything flamboyant or extraordinary. You just have to learn to see for yourself where it is, and that I think is where the challenge lies.





Dani
February 23, 2014- 8:43pm
"Listen with the ear of your heart"
          -St. Benedict 


No comments:

Post a Comment